What is a documentary series?
A documentary series is an evolving form of a documentary film that covers a particular topic or set of topics over multiple episodes, usually between 4 and 12. These series are usually geared toward a particular audience and often involve interviews, archival footage, and reenactments. Documentary series can showcase a wide range of topics and stories, from social issues to human interest stories.
Documentary series give audiences an in-depth look at the subjects they cover and can be used to create a powerful, lasting impression. The goal of a documentary series is to tell a compelling story that engages viewers and leaves them with a better understanding of the subject. Get Camera Crew specializes in creating award-winning documentary series that captures the essence of the story and puts your vision at the core of the videos we create.
What is the process for making a documentary series?
The process of making a documentary series begins with research and preparation.
- Start by learning as much as you can about the subject and the people you are spending time with. Depending on the topic, you may need to do research in libraries or historical society archives, or you may need to travel to the location and talk to people on the ground.
- Collect any archival footage or photos that you find relevant to the project.
- Next, create a broad outline or storyboard to help you plan out the footage you need and the possible story directions the project may take. If you are telling a personal story, make sure the subject is aware of and comfortable with the story you are trying to tell.
- Once you have an idea for the film and have collected your footage and materials, you can begin putting everything together. Outline and plan out the structure of your project, keeping in mind the mood and style you want to create.
- As you film and edit the project, be prepared to make changes and adjust your plans as needed. Finally, you can add any finishing touches to the project, such as color correction, sound design, and music. Once you are satisfied with the result, you can share your documentary series with the world!
What is the process of making a documentary series?
Step 1: Choose your series topic
Your topic for a documentary series video production should be something that you are passionate about and have a strong interest in. Additionally, it should be something that you feel has not been explored enough or that you feel could be explored in greater depth.
Step 2: Research documentary production companies
Researching documentary production companies can be intimidating, but it’s crucial to finding the best company to help you create the series you envision. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting you started:
- Consider your documentary’s purpose. What do you want to communicate and how will it impact your audience? It’s important to understand what you want to accomplish with the documentary before you start searching for the right production company.
- Research production companies and narrow down your list. Look for production companies that have experience in documentary filmmaking, understand your goals, and can produce a quality product. Look for reviews from previous customers, read up on their services, and make sure they have the resources and expertise you need.
- Evaluate each company and make your decision. Once you’ve narrowed down your list, it’s time to make a decision. Look at the estimated costs and timeline for each option, and decide which one can deliver what you need in the timeframe and budget you have.
- Prepare a production plan. Sit down with the company you chose and develop a production plan. This should include a timeline and budget, as well as the specific services you need, such as pre-production, production, and post-production.
- Collect the necessary resources. Before you start shooting, make sure you have all the necessary resources. This includes equipment, crew members, and locations. You’ll also need to gather the research materials you need to inform your story.
By following these steps, you'll be able to research and find the right documentary production company to make your series. Good luck!
Step 3: Discuss the budget, format, and length of your documentary series
Before you start the production process of your documentary series, it is important to discuss the budget, format, and length. You should always begin with a detailed budget. Consider your shooting locations, sound and lighting equipment, crew, post-production services, etc., and create a budget for each of these items.
Determine the format in which you will produce your documentary series. Are you filming in HD or 4K? What type of camera will you be using? Will you be shooting on location or in a studio?
Once you have determined the budget, format, and length of your documentary series, you can begin to plan out the shooting schedule, editing process, and post-production process. You may also need to consider any additional costs that may arise from hiring additional crew members or acquiring more equipment.
Step 4: Create a content plan for your documentary series
Before you start shooting a documentary, you need to have an outline of the story. You should think about the structure, style, and primary characters you want to feature. Ask yourself what the core story points will be and what elements will make the documentary intriguing. You should also determine if you need to film all-new footage or if you can use existing footage or photos to tell the story.
Step 5: Finish post-production for your documentary series
There are many ways to use post-production for your documentary series. You can use it to improve the quality of your footage, add special effects, or edit the series into a more watchable format. You can also use post-production to create a more polished final product that is more likely to be successful with audiences.
Can you show me an examle you shot?
Yes! see the below teaser that we shot over 3 countries in under 2 weeks.
What is the timeline for making a documentary series?
Making a documentary series can be a long and complex process, but with the right knowledge and preparation, it can be a rewarding experience. The timeline for making a documentary series typically starts with researching the subject and developing a script or treatment. This is followed by storyboarding, budgeting, and scheduling in detail.
How do you get Docuseries made?
To get a docuseries made, you'll need to find a production company that specializes in this type of content. You'll then need to pitch your idea and provide any necessary materials, such as a treatment or sizzle reel. Once you have a production company on board, they will help you to secure funding and create a budget for your project.
What makes a Docuseries?
A docuseries is a documentary television series that tells stories about real-life people, events, or places. The series usually follows a specific format and includes interviews with experts and witnesses.
What are the 4 types of documentaries?
The four types of documentaries are observational, expository, participatory, and performative.
What are the benefits of making a documentary film
Documentary films can educate audiences about important topics, shed light on stories that might otherwise go untold, and build empathy by bringing viewers face-to-face with real people and their experiences.
How to use documentary video production for finance businesses
Documentary video production can be used to finance businesses in a few ways. Firstly, it can be used to create marketing content that helps to promote and sell the business's products or services. Secondly, it can be used to create educational content that helps the business's customers to better understand the products or services. Finally, it can be used to create internal training and development content for employees
How to use documentary film production for the game industry
Using documentary film production for the game industry can help create a more immersive and realistic gaming experience. Documentaries can provide insights into the development process of a game, as well as stories and characters that can be used to create a more believable game world.